Multiple fascinating stories in todays newspaper, beginning with the obvious USA women’s World Cup soccer victory, and continuing with the following items:
- A man who threatens to clear 10 acres of land near Chattanooga Tennessee and create the world’s largest Confederate flag.
- A man gets drunk, lights off a firework on his head, blows off the top of his head, and dies.
- A South Dakota town museum restores a harpsichord from the 1500’s.
- Billy Joel who is 68 weds his girlfriend of 34. They have been together for 6 years.
- A 13-year old boy drowns in a closed public pool.
- An ad that says back pain can be relieved through “decompression” treatment.
- An ad for cremation starting at $695.
- Greece says no to “austerity.”
- An editorial about the power of Black Christians’ faith in the face of terrible adversity.
- The growing phenomena of children “bullying” parents.
- The Mississippi river approaching flood stage.
- An obituary of a man who earned two bronze stars for his service at the height of the Viet Nam War and another man who piloted landing crafts in combat in the Pacific in World War II, and another man who was “once given a cigar by Red Skelton.”
- The Dalai Lama turns 80.
An interesting, sobering, and entertaining read for a Monday.